moderated Favorite motor vendors


Wolfram v.Kiparski
 

What vendors does everyone prefer to buy rocket motors from?  Asking for a friend...

Mention motor type (model rocket, high power, mfg, etc) and then vendor.


Wolfram v.Kiparski
 

Estes blackpowder - AC Supply

Composite single use - Buy Rocket Motors, Balsa Machining, and Sirius Rocketry


Jon Goldsby
 

I like Apogee Rocket

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 8:56 PM Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:
Estes blackpowder - AC Supply

Composite single use - Buy Rocket Motors, Balsa Machining, and Sirius Rocketry


M Schevey
 
Edited

Estes blackpowder -
     Al's Trains & Hobby Bedford, OH
     (or)
     Hobby Town Mentor, OH
     (or)
     Hobby Lobby (Solon or Macedonia)
     (or)
 
 
Composite single use & reloads - (Quest & Aerotech)
    (or)
 
I do try to buy local, or we won't have them around anymore.  Anyone know a local vendor for composite motors? (Both above are great to work with; but haz-mat shipping is crazy, and getting worse.)
 
Mike
 
 

-------- Original message --------
From: "Wolfram v.Kiparski" <astronwolf@...>
Date: 8/23/21 8:56 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: public@MTMA.groups.io
Subject: Re: [MTMA] Favorite motor vendors
 
Estes blackpowder - AC Supply

Composite single use - Buy Rocket Motors, Balsa Machining, and Sirius Rocketry


Tom Augustyn
 

I have heard Sirus is a good source but have never ordered from them. I have used HobbyLinc and I believe if you order $100 or more they waive HAZMAT.
 
http://www.hobbylinc.com/model-rocket-engines

Hobby Lobby is also a good local source especially for periodic sales on kits. I've stopped at the Hobby Lobby in Stow on my way to Aurora launches to pick up motors.


 


John Bryan
 


Flightsketch is a good source - discounted prices and low shipping plus they carry Q-Jets, Aerotech motors/reloads and Loki reloads. For folks who aren’t close to a Hobby Lobby they periodically offer included shipping on orders over $50 - just have to check their site for the banner notice.


 


james kral
 

 
Hobby lobby think I think was best, If they still have the 40% off download coupon for instore use for Estes low power.
 
For Mid/high Power, your at the Mercy of the Vendor/supply Chain. That is why at one time I was a mid/high power motor dealer, the 
Hazmat fee was per order based so if it was 1 motor or 100 it was one money.  
 
This is why I was a dealer, you can amortize the shipping/hazmat costs, but you still end up hording engines as you have to meet minimum order requirements and have motors you personally won't use waiting to sell.
 
An unforeseen problem that I did have was the the shipper (DSL) would drop the boxes at the front porch (like  Amazon), so now you have boxes with big orange EXPLOSIVE stickers plastered all over the boxes awaiting porch pirates or your collection on arrival from work.
At that time the mailbox-drop box shipping storefront places would not accept delivery of hazmat  orders.
 
 
 


Mike Nowak
 

Estes Black Powder:  AC Supply - best prices, great customer service
Single Use Composite:  Buy Rocket Motors, Balsa Machining - best prices.  I will occasionally order from eRockets or ASP if I need something quicker
 
I plan ahead and rarely buy motors in a brick and mortar shop. 
--
Mike Nowak


John Bryan
 


FYI Hobby Lobby no longer allows the 40% coupon for Estes stuff - part of the current agreement they have with Estes everything is already discounted roughly 30% (similar to online discounted prices) HL calls them “Your Price” items which aren’t eligible for the coupon. Actually works out better if you’re buying more than a few items since the coupon only works on a single thing.

On Tuesday, August 24, 2021, 10:27:21 AM EDT, james kral via groups.io <jameskraliii@...> wrote:
Hobby lobby think I think was best, If they still have the 40% off download coupon for instore use for Estes low power.
 
 


Tom Augustyn
 

Hobby Lobby apparently discontinued the 40% off coupons but their sales price stickers on motors I believe are price economical once you add the shipping and HAZMAT to an on-line order. Of course Hobby Lobby doesn't carry Aerotech motors only ESTES up to  29 MM. 


-----Original Message-----
From: james kral via groups.io <jameskraliii@...>
To: public@MTMA.groups.io <public@MTMA.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Aug 24, 2021 10:03 am
Subject: Re: [MTMA] Favorite motor vendors

Hobby lobby think I think was best, If they still have the 40% off download coupon for instore use for Estes low power.
 
 
 


Tom Augustyn
 

I am with you on that one.


-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Nowak <MikeMNowak@...>
To: public@mtma.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Aug 24, 2021 10:49 am
Subject: Re: [MTMA] Favorite motor vendors

Estes Black Powder:  AC Supply - best prices, great customer service
Single Use Composite:  Buy Rocket Motors, Balsa Machining - best prices.  I will occasionally order from eRockets or ASP if I need something quicker
 
I plan ahead and rarely buy motors in a brick and mortar shop. 
--
Mike Nowak


John Bryan
 

No 29mm motors at Hobby Lobby - they only carry motors that fit the rockets/kits that they stock since they don’t carry Estes PSII kits no more 29mm motors.

On Tuesday, August 24, 2021, 11:59:23 AM EDT, Tom Augustyn via groups.io <taugy@...> wrote:


Hobby Lobby apparently discontinued the 40% off coupons but their sales price stickers on motors I believe are price economical once you add the shipping and HAZMAT to an on-line order. Of course Hobby Lobby doesn't carry Aerotech motors only ESTES up to  29 MM. 


-----Original Message-----
From: james kral via groups.io <jameskraliii@...>
To: public@MTMA.groups.io <public@MTMA.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Aug 24, 2021 10:03 am
Subject: Re: [MTMA] Favorite motor vendors

Hobby lobby think I think was best, If they still have the 40% off download coupon for instore use for Estes low power.
 
 
 


Tom Augustyn
 

When did they stop carrying PS II kits? Just recently?


-----Original Message-----
From: John Bryan via groups.io <scott_650@...>
No 29mm motors at Hobby Lobby - they only carry motors that fit the rockets/kits that they stock since they don’t carry Estes PSII kits no more 29mm motors.
 


Wolfram v.Kiparski
 

Keep discussion on-topic please.  Start another thread if you want to add anything to the discussion other than about motor vendors.


Daniel Fabec
 

When members order rocket engines does anyone combine there order with anyone else to save on hazmat shipping costs?

Thanks
Daniel Fabec
 

On Aug 24, 2021, at 11:14 AM, Mike Nowak <MikeMNowak@...> wrote:
I plan ahead and rarely buy motors in a brick and mortar shop. 
--
Mike Nowak


Tom Augustyn
 

I would be willing to do that . 


-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Fabec <dfabec16@...>
To: public@mtma.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Aug 24, 2021 4:15 pm
Subject: Re: [MTMA] Favorite motor vendors

When members order rocket engines does anyone combine there order with anyone else to save on hazmat shipping costs?

Thanks
Daniel Fabec
 

On Aug 24, 2021, at 11:14 AM, Mike Nowak <MikeMNowak@...> wrote:
I plan ahead and rarely buy motors in a brick and mortar shop. 
--
Mike Nowak


Wolfram v.Kiparski
 

On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 06:17 PM, Daniel Fabec wrote:
When members order rocket engines does anyone combine there order with anyone else to save on hazmat shipping costs?
We did a group order on altimeters once, but as far as I can recall we've never done a motor order. 


Tom Alcock
 

Discountmodelrocketry.com has great prices and doesn't charge Hazmat fee.

Tom


On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 8:50 PM, Wolfram v.Kiparski
<astronwolf@...> wrote:
What vendors does everyone prefer to buy rocket motors from?  Asking for a friend...

Mention motor type (model rocket, high power, mfg, etc) and then vendor.


Mike Nowak
 

We did a group motor order once, about 12 years ago.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 7:55 AM Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 06:17 PM, Daniel Fabec wrote:
When members order rocket engines does anyone combine there order with anyone else to save on hazmat shipping costs?
We did a group order on altimeters once, but as far as I can recall we've never done a motor order. 



--
Mike Nowak


M Schevey
 

I would be interested in a group motor buy.. can always use more motors...LOL
 
Mike