Topics

locked ZündungGeschichte!! MTMA #15 Feuer! Rauch! Der Nervenkitzel Von Sieg! Die Qual Von Niederlage!

Tod Hilty

From: blankreg@... (Hilty Information Systems)
Newsgroups: rec.models.rockets
Subject: [MTMA] ZündungGeschichte!! MTMA #15! Feuer! Rauch! Der
Nervenkitzel Von Sieg! Die Qual Von Niederlage!
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 22:51:51 GMT

Bauteile der Township-Flugagentur Mantua bauten wieder an unserem
Pionierhinterfliegenfeld für anders zusammen...

Oh, sorry, got so excited, I started channelling Werner von Braun...

<bg>

(the funny thing was how babelfish spit out Pioneer Trail! :)

The hard rocking rocket scientists of the Mantua Township Missile
Agency again assembled at our Pioneer Trail flying field for another
_spectacular_ launch!

Date: December 10, 2000
Location: Mantua Township, Portage County, NE Ohio
Conditions: Kinda crummy. Generally overcast with a 2500 foot
ceiling. 3-4 inches of snow, ~5 MPH wind
from the East, South, and Southwest.
Temps in the middle 30's.

In attendance were Mike Leffler, Larry Graceffo, David Waner, Craig
Lent, Joe Angelucci, Karen Patr(mumble, mumble, I can't read your last
name Karen!), yours truely, and... finally... <gasp> Stan MIkush!
NoHope's (Tripoli #3) Mike Fraley stopped by to watch.

Mark Recktenwald was up watching the Brownies again (did they win?),
and we're still missing Randy Miller, Chuck Straka, Tracy Laux, and
Bruce Levison. Bruce, darn it, I *know* yer out there! <g>

33 flights! From a low end of A, to a high end of I! We'll report by
flyer:

Highlight of the day was Dave Waners L1! Congratulations Dave!

Mike Leffler graciously dropped off Trigger[tm] at the launch site,
and thus was the first to arrive, *and* the first to get something up.
Mike's Estes Fat Boy went up on a C6-5 for a nice wind check. His PML
Small Endevour was up next on a G75-J medium delay. Mike's final
flight of the day (he skipped out to head over to the Tri-City
Skybusters meeting) was an incredibly "low, and slow" flight, his Fat
Boy again, on an _A8-3_. Too funny! Rocket was up, about 50 feet,
tailslide, and ejection. I think he could've landed it back on the
rod!

Stan Mikush's day started with a LOC Graduator on an F40-4 for a
perfect, albeit, quite "low powered" (for Stan) flight. Stan's our
diehard high power guy, and I don't believe I've ever seen him fly
anything less than a G! Stan's next flight was a LOC Stovi(?) on an
unreported, but definitely substantial, motor. Stan had been eyeing
his well flown LOC Magnum pretty much all day, but the Magnum went
back into the car unflown after his LOC Expeditor flight. The
Expeditor was prepped with an I195, countdown issued, and launch!
Even tho' the rod was angled to the southwest, the rocket took off
towards the southeast. Up, up, up, apogee, noseover, down, down,
down... No ejection, and the Expeditor core sampled in the field
across the road. Hopefully, Stan was at least able to dig out the
motor casing!

Larry Graceffo's first launch was an Estes AMRAAM on a C6-5 for a
perfectly nominal flight! His scratch "Sky Hog" left the pad with
authority on an E30-4 next. His Estes V-2 was off next on a D12-5 for
a heavily weathercocking flight to the west. Larry built a large
upscale AMRAAM, totally scratch (just by scaling up his smaller Estes
AMRAAM), and launched it next on a G38-4 for an arrow straight,
_beautiful_ flight! The obligatory MTMA Estes Sidewinder drag race
was conducted, with me, and Larry as the contestants. Larry, finally
understanding that in order to be a fully assimilated member of the
MTMA, built a beautiful Estes Sidewinder, and prepped the bird with a
C5-3 (or, so he sez.. :). Mine was prepped the same way, and I
utilized a single 18" Custom mylar 'chute for recovery. Countdown was
issued, and both models left the pad. I WAS IN THE LEAD!!! Sorry,
first time that's ever happened. I *really* thought I had this one,
but Larry's "Sidey" came up to full thrust, and _blew_ right past
mine. <sigh> I'm like Charlie Brown, and his kite when it comes to
these dragraces! <vbg> Larry put up a scratch "Delta" on an F50-6, and
his massive "Green Mamba" took off beautifully on twin G38-4's!

Dave Waner got moving with a LOC Aura on a G40. Beautiful launch, but
the sucker was _up there_, and was consequently sacrificed to the
Rocket Gods. Either that, or it's *still* up there! Dave's next
flight was his LOC IV L1 certification flight on an H128. Beautiful,
quick, *strong* boost, perfect ejection, and a "heavily wooded"
recovery. Dave's final flight of the day was his LOC Onyx on a G40
for another _way_ high flight... I think this one's in LEO too! <g>

Joe Angelucci came down from Cleveland to join us, and started things
off with a scratch build on a B6-2, with his scratch "Intrepid" left
the pad on a B6-2. Joe's humongo scratch "Flash" (imagine a 4.5 foot
Big Bertha) left next on a D12-3 for a major weathercocking flight to
the south. The 'chute stripped, and the rocket is now about 3"
shorter. That's the nice thing about those long ones... just trim
away the damaged section, and keep flying until you end up with a
stump! <bg>

Craig Lent put up quite a few that never returned to earth. His first
flight was a LOC Lil' Nuke, which I think was recovered. Next his
Estes Silver Comet was up on a D12-3, followed by his LOC Starburst
(donated by Barry Lynch :) on 2xD12-3's. Craig's Aura disappeared
(literally) on a G35. Craig finished the day up with his Estes AMRAAM
flying on a C6-7.

Karen (whateserface.. sorry ;)'s first, and only flight of the day was
a beautifully finished LOC Aura on a G35. Rocket left the pad in a
_major_ hurry, was said to deploy, but was lost by the spotters.

While out in the woods, on a rocket prospecting trip, Craig
unexpectedly found his Aura at the _far_ eastern end of the field,
perfectly unscathed. So that makes it 3 for the rocket gods!

I promised myself that I'd fly more BP at this launch, but I found my
hands constantly gravitating towards my 24/40, and 29/40-120 motor
boxes. <g> I started the day off with my Estes Python using D12-5 for
power. Perfect flight, and recovery. My trusty Estes Yellow Jacket
got some major air on a C6-5, using mylar streamer recovery. I gave
in to my AP addiction (do they make a "patch"?), and built a nice
little E11-5J for my 24/40, and into the Python it went. First
copperhead spit, but the second got 'er going on a trail of jet black
smoke. Bit of an arcing flight to the south, long coast over apogee,
and ejection. Upon retrieving the rocket, I noticed the NC was
missing, and somehow the upper "payload" section got bashed a bit,
apparently after contacting the fins. Dunno how it managed to
accomplish that. I wrote off the NC, as I figured finding a mostly
white NC in a snow covered field would be futile at best. Dave Waner
found it later, not too far from the pads! Cool! As mentioned above,
Larry, and I had the obligatory MTMA Sidewinder dragrace, and I
launched my trusty Estes Phoenix on an E28-4T. The rocket whistles
like a "bomb" on the way up when it flies on this reload. Very cool!
Built a petite D13-7W in the 18/20 case, and loaded up the Sidewinder.
Way cool, very high, "coning" flight to the west, and perfect recovery
(in the fresh patch of cow manure our landowner had just deposited on
the field ;). After being hounded by Stan ("Why don't you stick and H
in there Tod!?"), I built a G64-7W for my AT Strongarm. My son Ryan
had the pleasure of counting down, and hitting the button. Ignition,
and off she went! Big noise! Big flame! _Way_ up there (just
kissing the cloud deck). Perfect ejection, and the Strongarm drifted
to the edge of the northern woods. The rocket hung up about 15 feet
off the ground in a hedge tree, but was extracted without damage after
a few minutes.

Execellent bunch o' flights guys!

So ends the 2000 flying year for the Mantua Township Missile Agency!
Excellent season, with many memorable flights, many new faces, and
many new members!

But, don't dismay...

The 2001 season starts next month! Yes, I'm sure our intrepid band of
fliers (idiots?) will be dragging our butts out next month, in order
to tempt frostbite, endure wetness, cold, and snow, in order to fly
rockets!

I can't wait!

Hope to see everyone at our first annual MTMA Holiday
Party/Hoedown/Blowout/Farce, this Saturday at 7!

Oh yeah, any RMR'ers out there who find yerselves in NE Ohio on
Saturday night, please stop by the palatial "Hilty Compound" and have
a cup of Holiday Cheer!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the MTMA, and *to* RMR from the
MTMA!

Tod Hilty
Mantua, Ohio

Tod A. Hilty NAR #72099
Hilty Information Systems

Member MTMA, NAR Section #606

Mantua Township Missile Agency
http://web.raex.com/~markndeb/rockets/mtma/

"I'm going to put the wheels of the bus back on... just in case"
- BlankReg, Max Headroom: 20 Minutes Into the Future

"I speak for myself _and_ my corporation! Deal with it!"
- blankreg

- remove nospam.ever, and replace with apk for reply