Topics

moderated Upcoming public access launches

Wolfram v.Kiparski

Edited

For all you lurkers out there in non-MTMA member land, we have scheduled public launches at our new field at the Barber Airport north of Alliance.  Check the calendar for two dates in October and one date in November.  This is a much larger field than Harmon Flying Field in Aurora, with acres of mown grass.  If the wind is right, it's truly a pleasure to fly there and not have to wade through tall grass and bushes to recover your rocket.  But being an active airport it has unique flying restrictions.  The field is not suitable for High Power because of the proximity of people's homes (< 1500 feet away).  The field is shared with a parachute club and a model airplane club.  The owner believes that a model rocket club can cooperate with the other clubs that also use this facility.  We think so too.  But access does come with a few caveats.

Caveat #1 - the Airport charges $5 per person day use fee.
Caveat #2 - non-MTMA members are restricted to a maximum 20 N-s power (D engine), no clusters, no staging at Barber Field.
Caveat #3 - non-MTMA members pay MTMA a $5 launch fee too - $10 total to fly at Barber.
Caveat #4 - we periodically have to shut down the range to allow the parachute club to do its thing.

Notice a trend here?  We want to encourage you to join the National Association of Rocketry and join MTMA.  This message goes out to 128 email addresses that are not bouncing and are not associated with club members.  Consider doing more than just lurking MTMA's email message list.  Re-up and come check us out.

Tom Augustyn

Great news Wolf! Is there a current calendar available on the MTMA web site for launch dates?  The link I have saved below only reflects dates for 2019.

http://www.mtmarocketry.org/main/

For all you lurkers out there in non-MTMA member land, we have scheduled public launches at our new field at the Barber Airport north of Alliance.  Check the calendar for two dates in October and one date in November.  This is a much larger field than Harmon Flying Field in Aurora, with acres of mown grass.  If the wind is right, it's truly a pleasure to fly there not have to wade through tall grass and bushes to recover your rocket.  But being an active airport it has unique flying restrictions.  The field is not suitable for High Power because of the proximity of people's homes (< 1500 feet away).  The field is shared with a parachute club and a model airplane club.  The owner believes that a model rocket club can cooperate with the other clubs that also use this facility.  We think so too.  But access does come with a few caveats.

Caveat #1 - the Airport charges $5 per person day use fee.
Caveat #2 - non-MTMA members are restricted to a maximum 20 N-s power (D engine), no clusters, no staging at Barber Field.
Caveat #3 - non-MTMA members pay MTMA a $5 launch fee too - $10 total to fly at Barber.
Caveat #4 - we periodically have to shut down the range to allow the parachute club to do its thing.

Notice a trend here?  We want to encourage you to join the National Association of Rocketry and join MTMA.  This message goes out to 128 email addresses that are not bouncing and are not associated with club members.  Consider doing more than just lurking MTMA's email message list.  Re-up and come check us out.

Wolfram v.Kiparski

Hi Tom,

This email message server is also a message board, with calendar and file storage features.
The website is, meh... it will get fixed eventually.  But in the meantime, avail yourself to this group's calendar.

MTMA Public Launches Calendar

Tom Augustyn

Thanks Wolf, hopefully I'll see you there. May I pay my member fees at the site to join the MTMA group and be able to launch high power birds greater than D Motor? I am currently a NAR member.

Have a good day!

Tom

This email message server is also a message board, with calendar and file storage features.
The website is, meh... it will get fixed eventually.  But in the meantime, avail yourself to this group's calendar.

MTMA Public Launches Calendar

Wolfram v.Kiparski

Yes you may, Tom.

Jon Goldsby

Wolf what motors would you recommend for the new field?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:14 PM Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:
Yes you may, Tom.

Wolfram v.Kiparski

Jon,

Model rocket motors.  As for what impulse model rocket motor that depends on wind direction.  With favorable winds I would fly just about anything, though drift from a high altitude is always a problem.  Dual deployment or a chute release makes it a walk in the park.

I flew an Estes Fat Boy (short BT80 size kit from 20 years ago) with an E20-7 and got it back no problem.  I plan on flying it with an F24 reload out there, but only if the wind is favorable.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020, 2:25 PM Jon Goldsby <jongoldsby@...> wrote:
Wolf what motors would you recommend for the new field?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:14 PM Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:
Yes you may, Tom.

Tom Augustyn

I'd like to finally get a Launch Pad PAC-3 Patriot in the air on an Aerotech E15-4 and also Estes Maxi Honest John on an Aerotech E30-4. Can that field handle or accomodate 29MM motors like an Estes Pro Series Nike Smoke on an Aerotech F26 ?

Model rocket motors.  As for what impulse model rocket motor that depends on wind direction.  With favorable winds I would fly just about anything, though drift from a high altitude is always a problem.  Dual deployment or a chute release makes it a walk in the park.

I flew an Estes Fat Boy (short BT80 size kit from 20 years ago) with an E20-7 and got it back no problem.  I plan on flying it with an F24 reload out there, but only if the wind is favorable.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020, 2:25 PM Jon Goldsby <jongoldsby@...> wrote:
Wolf what motors would you recommend for the new field?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:14 PM Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:
Yes you may, Tom.

Wolfram v.Kiparski

Yes the field is big enough - if the wind direction is favorable.  Where we set up the first time winds out of the north or northeast would not be so good for us because then we would be blown into the tree line to the south.  We will have to ask and see if we can get permission to move to another location on the field.  But can you imagine the confusion if we said "go here and park here" but at the last minute went and set up somewhere else?

Winds out of the south, east, and west are favorable.  But even with a favorable breeze, we lost a rocket to a distant tree.  Trees are everywhere, and hungry.

Tom Augustyn

Rocketry rule of thumb #1. If you don't want to lose it, don't launch it...Thanks for the info Wolf! Hope to see you there!