Topics

Upcoming Event: MTMA-NAR Member-Only Launch - Sat, 05/25/2019 10:00am-4:00pm #cal-reminder

MTMA@groups.io Calendar <MTMA@...>

Reminder: MTMA-NAR Member-Only Launch

When: Saturday, 25 May 2019, 10:00am to 4:00pm, (GMT-04:00) America/New York

Where:http://maps.google.com/?q=Harmon%20Flying%20Field%2c%20619%20Bartlett%20Rd%2c%20Aurora%2c%20OH%2044202

View Event

Organizer: MTMA

Description: This is a model rocket launch for MTMA/NAR members-only.  MTMA club membership and National Association of Rocketry membership is required to participate.

The launch will be conducted in accordance with the NAR Model Rocket Safety Code ( http://www.nar.org/safety-information/model-rocket-safety-code/ ). G-impulse max.  No high power.

In the event of poor flying conditions, the following Sunday will be the backup flying date. Stay tuned for last minute updates.

We fly until everyone has had enough, or 4:00 pm, whichever happens first.

Please park in the main parking lot.  Do not drive out into the field.

Wolfram v.Kiparski

Anyone interested in flying this weekend?

Keep an eye on the weather... it's a little soon to call it, but Sunday is looking better than Saturday right now.
-W

Jeff Kodysz

I have no interest in sinking to my ankles in mud again. :)

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 8:47 AM Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:
Anyone interested in flying this weekend?

Keep an eye on the weather... it's a little soon to call it, but Sunday is looking better than Saturday right now.
-W

Jon Goldsby

I just received my NAR membership.  Can I join the group for this launch? Can I become a member online?

Anyone interested in flying this weekend?

Keep an eye on the weather... it's a little soon to call it, but Sunday is looking better than Saturday right now.
-W

Wolfram v.Kiparski

Yes, you may join us to fly.  No, we still don't offer online membership - look for it sometime later this year.  Prospective new MTMA members who can show NAR membership get their MTMA membership fee waived.

Wolfram v.Kiparski

Current field conditions:  wet everywhere, and muddy where a lot of people walk around.  Boots and long pants are strongly advised.  Leave the shorts and sandals at home.

Jennifer Davis

Are thing a go for tomorrow or Sunday?

On May 21, 2019, at 10:48 AM, Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:

Current field conditions:  wet everywhere, and muddy where a lot of people walk around.  Boots and long pants are strongly advised.  Leave the shorts and sandals at home.

Wolfram v.Kiparski

Reminder that this weekend's launch is ONLY for NAR members who are MTMA members in good standing.  Plus you have to bring your own gear.

Both days are forecast for rain.  Going to be a little breezy Saturday too.  That's enough for me to postpone my involvement for another weekend.  I am not hauling the gear out there and setting it up this weekend.  Any die-hards out there who are both a NAR member and a MTMA member in good standing, have at it.
-Wolf

Casey Anderson

Is Monday fair game too?? If I’m setting up my own gear, would that be a problem?

On May 24, 2019, at 6:39 PM, Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:

Reminder that this weekend's launch is ONLY for NAR members who are MTMA members in good standing.  Plus you have to bring your own gear.

Both days are forecast for rain.  Going to be a little breezy Saturday too.  That's enough for me to postpone my involvement for another weekend.  I am not hauling the gear out there and setting it up this weekend.  Any die-hards out there who are both a NAR member and a MTMA member in good standing, have at it.
-Wolf

Gary Stricker

I'm going to go Saturday and see how it goes

On May 24, 2019, at 7:26 PM, Casey Anderson <bigwake182@...> wrote:

Is Monday fair game too?? If I’m setting up my own gear, would that be a problem?

On May 24, 2019, at 6:39 PM, Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:

Reminder that this weekend's launch is ONLY for NAR members who are MTMA members in good standing.  Plus you have to bring your own gear.

Both days are forecast for rain.  Going to be a little breezy Saturday too.  That's enough for me to postpone my involvement for another weekend.  I am not hauling the gear out there and setting it up this weekend.  Any die-hards out there who are both a NAR member and a MTMA member in good standing, have at it.
-Wolf

Jeff Kodysz

Monday is NOT a reserved day for rocket flights. If you wish to fly on Monday, you MUST be a club member and a NAR member, and you must cooperate with any members of the Flying Aces who may wish to fly their RC aircraft as well.

Jeff

On May 24, 2019, at 7:26 PM, Casey Anderson <bigwake182@...> wrote:

Is Monday fair game too?? If I’m setting up my own gear, would that be a problem?

On May 24, 2019, at 6:39 PM, Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:

Reminder that this weekend's launch is ONLY for NAR members who are MTMA members in good standing.  Plus you have to bring your own gear.

Both days are forecast for rain.  Going to be a little breezy Saturday too.  That's enough for me to postpone my involvement for another weekend.  I am not hauling the gear out there and setting it up this weekend.  Any die-hards out there who are both a NAR member and a MTMA member in good standing, have at it.
-Wolf

Jon Goldsby

I am a NAR member and have attended one of your open launches.  Am I eligible to fly tomorrow?

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 7:26 PM Casey Anderson <bigwake182@...> wrote:
Is Monday fair game too?? If I’m setting up my own gear, would that be a problem?

On May 24, 2019, at 6:39 PM, Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:

Reminder that this weekend's launch is ONLY for NAR members who are MTMA members in good standing.  Plus you have to bring your own gear.

Both days are forecast for rain.  Going to be a little breezy Saturday too.  That's enough for me to postpone my involvement for another weekend.  I am not hauling the gear out there and setting it up this weekend.  Any die-hards out there who are both a NAR member and a MTMA member in good standing, have at it.
-Wolf

Jeff Kodysz

Hi Jon,

In order to fly at the field tomorrow, you must be Both a NAR member and a club member. If however, there is another club member present and they consent, you may fly with them. This is the big difference between an open launch and a bring-your-own-gear launch.

Jeff

On May 24, 2019, at 9:04 PM, Jon Goldsby <jongoldsby@...> wrote:

I am a NAR member and have attended one of your open launches.  Am I eligible to fly tomorrow?

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 7:26 PM Casey Anderson <bigwake182@...> wrote:
Is Monday fair game too?? If I’m setting up my own gear, would that be a problem?

On May 24, 2019, at 6:39 PM, Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:

Reminder that this weekend's launch is ONLY for NAR members who are MTMA members in good standing.  Plus you have to bring your own gear.

Both days are forecast for rain.  Going to be a little breezy Saturday too.  That's enough for me to postpone my involvement for another weekend.  I am not hauling the gear out there and setting it up this weekend.  Any die-hards out there who are both a NAR member and a MTMA member in good standing, have at it.
-Wolf

Jon Goldsby

Ok does this mean I have to launch from their launch pad?

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 9:26 PM Jeff Kodysz <jeffk813@...> wrote:
[...]

Jon you are not a member.  The answer is no.  We repeated the rules a couple times in this thread and I am getting pretty suspicious of someone who either has no patience to read and assimilate what the requirements are, or is trying to skirt the rules.  I have absolutely no patience for that.

Jon Goldsby

I have no intentions of skirting the rules as a 30-year NASA scientist, I always follow the rules.. However your language is imprecise, meaning and procedures unclear.. You have no need to concern yourself further..

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 9:41 PM Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:
Jon you are not a member.  The answer is no.  We repeated the rules a couple times in this thread and I am getting pretty suspicious of someone who either has no patience to read and assimilate what the requirements are, or is trying to skirt the rules.  I have absolutely no patience for that.

John Ulizzi

Wolf,

With all due respect, I have read through this entire thread twice, and Jon is correct, “your language is imprecise, meaning and procedures unclear”...  You yourself in an earlier email said yes, and then in your last response said no. If that isnt unclear, I dont know what is. This is not an attitude that makes newcomers feel very welcome at all, and I find it hard to believe that this came from the same guy that responded to my very first inquiry to MSTA with the warmest of welcomes moments after I had posted it...

Jon,

Dont give up on us just yet. We’re really a great group of guys and gals, including Wolf ( as long as he takes his anti-crabby pills !🤣). Seriously, I believe Jeff has since spelled out the requirements, including in your case an officer being present for you to attend on this particular weekend.  I would be there but I am returning from out of town tomorrow. If any other officers plan to be present could you please let Jon know ?

Good flying guys! Have fun and be safe!

John

On May 24, 2019, at 9:50 PM, Jon Goldsby <jongoldsby@...> wrote:

I have no intentions of skirting the rules as a 30-year NASA scientist, I always follow the rules.. However your language is imprecise, meaning and procedures unclear.. You have no need to concern yourself further..

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 9:41 PM Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:
Jon you are not a member.  The answer is no.  We repeated the rules a couple times in this thread and I am getting pretty suspicious of someone who either has no patience to read and assimilate what the requirements are, or is trying to skirt the rules.  I have absolutely no patience for that.

Michael Grossman

And trust and believe there will be people there flying airplanes but as you guys alow us to fly at times when you guys are launching i have no problem flying if you guys want to launch monday we can all get along

[...]

Mr. Ulizzi,

Thank you for your clarification.  However my interest tend to more mid- to high powered model rocketry. I would also like get involved with more experimental designs, as an example I have some ideas of how to mount micro- onboard gyroscopes for more stable flight, so models like fin-less Gemini Titan like rockets become plausible. I will find such a club or start my own.  Of course you are welcome to fly with me. Ad Astra