Topics

locked Sunday's Launch Status

castraka@...
 

It looks like the humidity and showers will be tapering off about mid-day
tomorrow.  Sounds like the soil is too saturated to dry enough for 2WD by
Sunday.   Argghhh!   I am chomping at the bit to get something off the ground
already!  

Hmmmmm...Pichan's (even though small) sounds more appealing to me especially
since the Field of Thorns hasn't had a chance to thicken yet and the winds
are forecast to be coming out of the SW and drift will be away from that fun
recovery area (NOT TO MENTION it is mostly all grass!)  Now, the neighbors
may take issue with their yard becoming the main recovery area and, I just
remembered, the winds will probably help feed that tree to the north.  Well,
never mind...think dry-think dry-find your boots-think dry-think dry...

Chuck

Tod Hilty
 

<sigh>

Hi! Uh, just li'l ol' me here..

Um, well, um..

So, how's everyone's Friday night going? Having a great time? Really?

<sigh>

OK, so, like, I was out to Carlton's this evening. I was doing really good
in the Tracker until I stopped to turn around at the rangehead. I think the
car sunk about 8", and I was instantly stuck. Very, _very_ muddy! I put
the car in 1st., let out on the clutch, and literally got out and stood
there watching the rear wheels spin very slowly. Cool perspective! Locked
in the RF hub, and found that the LF was stuck.... Beat on it with a rock,
and it finally moved. In 4WD, I was able to inch my way out, but all *four*
wheels were spinning in the muck quite freely.

Nasty. But fun! I was supposed to be over at my boys' baseball practice,
but it was pretty cool playing in the mud!

Anyway, I checked for additional access roads. The road we used that passed
to the right (east) of the water hazard is equally as muddy. There does not
appear to be a road on the west side of the field (after checking this
evening), but I'll check with Mr. Carlton (if I can find him) tomorrow
morning to see what kind of additional access we can get. One option would
be to allow only 4WD capable vehicles to the rangehead, and everyone else
may have to park out on Pioneer Trail, and hoof their stuff up the access
road to the rangehead.

If we fly there on Sunday, be prepared for MUDROC II!

After talking to Mark this evening, I don't see things drying out unless we
get absolutely no rain tomorrow, and the sun comes out. Humidity is the
problem here, as the water vapor has nowhere to go.

I called John Pichan, owner of the field where we flew our first launch, and
got his machine. I really don't think Mr. Pichan will have any trouble with
us using his property as an alternate on Sunday. Pichan's field is fairly
small, and is long to the east and west. Adjoining properties have been
used for recovery. The property to the south is our hallowed Field of
Thorns, composed primarily of thistles, wild roses, and all kinds of other
"pokey" stuff. If the day is decent, we can get by with LMR, and low -n-
slow HPR flights (to around 600-800 feet), but model rocket class flights
are best.

Don't give up on Pioneer Trail just yet! Maybe things will dry out. In any
event, I'll check the field again tomorrow late morning, and afternoon. Any
additional information will be relayed to the mailing list as soon as I get it.

Please stay tuned for further updates!

Tod

Barry Lynch <belynch@...>
 

If the field is too wet you may want to consider the TCSB launch on Sunday
11-3 - their field is grass now and pretty strong. If it is muddy they will
still fly and park in the farmers front lot. This is unless called off some
time saturday. Take turnpike to exit 7 Baumhart road - south till first
light then go west about 2 miles through 2 apple orchard farms - at the
bottom of the next hill look right - that is the field. Pretty easy.
Barry
btw - The mid-high power pad I bought from Magnum came in. I want to donate
it to MTMA - do you have a power setup or do you want to use the one Randy
had?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hilty Information Systems" <blankreg@...>
To: <MTMA@...>
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2001 9:03 PM
Subject: [MTMA] Sunday's Launch Status


<sigh>

Hi! Uh, just li'l ol' me here..

Um, well, um..

So, how's everyone's Friday night going? Having a great time? Really?

<sigh>

OK, so, like, I was out to Carlton's this evening. I was doing really
good
in the Tracker until I stopped to turn around at the rangehead. I think
the
car sunk about 8", and I was instantly stuck. Very, _very_ muddy! I put
the car in 1st., let out on the clutch, and literally got out and stood
there watching the rear wheels spin very slowly. Cool perspective!
Locked
in the RF hub, and found that the LF was stuck.... Beat on it with a rock,
and it finally moved. In 4WD, I was able to inch my way out, but all
*four*
wheels were spinning in the muck quite freely.

Nasty. But fun! I was supposed to be over at my boys' baseball practice,
but it was pretty cool playing in the mud!

Anyway, I checked for additional access roads. The road we used that
passed
to the right (east) of the water hazard is equally as muddy. There does
not
appear to be a road on the west side of the field (after checking this
evening), but I'll check with Mr. Carlton (if I can find him) tomorrow
morning to see what kind of additional access we can get. One option
would
be to allow only 4WD capable vehicles to the rangehead, and everyone else
may have to park out on Pioneer Trail, and hoof their stuff up the access
road to the rangehead.

If we fly there on Sunday, be prepared for MUDROC II!

After talking to Mark this evening, I don't see things drying out unless
we
get absolutely no rain tomorrow, and the sun comes out. Humidity is the
problem here, as the water vapor has nowhere to go.

I called John Pichan, owner of the field where we flew our first launch,
and
got his machine. I really don't think Mr. Pichan will have any trouble
with
us using his property as an alternate on Sunday. Pichan's field is fairly
small, and is long to the east and west. Adjoining properties have been
used for recovery. The property to the south is our hallowed Field of
Thorns, composed primarily of thistles, wild roses, and all kinds of other
"pokey" stuff. If the day is decent, we can get by with LMR, and low -n-
slow HPR flights (to around 600-800 feet), but model rocket class flights
are best.

Don't give up on Pioneer Trail just yet! Maybe things will dry out. In
any
event, I'll check the field again tomorrow late morning, and afternoon.
Any
additional information will be relayed to the mailing list as soon as I
get it.

Please stay tuned for further updates!

Tod


MTMA main page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MTMA

MTMA message archive: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MTMA/messages

Want your name removed? mailto:MTMA-unsubscribe@...

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

castraka@...
 

In a message dated 04/07/01 6:03:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
belynch@... writes:

btw - The mid-high power pad I bought from Magnum came in.  I want to donate
it to MTMA - do you have a power setup or do you want to use the one Randy
had?


Barry!  Your generosity never ceases to amaze me!  The power setup that Randy
had (a Pratt SureFire as I recall) would be a great complement to any new
mid-power pad.  Thanks!  The pressure's off to win DESCON now....

How many pads will that give us now (if we ever get to launch anything!)??

Chuck Straka