Topics

locked Possible launch field in Alliance

Jerry Chiurazzi

Where is it

On Aug 19, 2019, at 8:39 PM, JohnP <partridgespam@...> wrote:

I often drive past a grass field airport used by local skydiving school and a few others.  When I do, I keep thinking that I should stop one day (when I'm not in hurry to be somewhere else) and ask if they'd be open to allowing rocket launches there.

Well, tonight I was at Boy Scouts and brought up the subject of rockets.  And everyone looks over at one of the newer scout leaders.  He introduces himself as the *owner* of the airport and mentioned that occasionally people come out and adk to launch a rocket or two.  He would be very interested in talking to club officers (and me) about the possibility if the club is similarly interested.  The field is over 100 (maybe 130) acres, mostly mowed.  Possibly suitable for HPR.

I have his business card and contact information.

Anyone interested?

Blessings,
John Partridge

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019, 10:00 AM main@MTMA.groups.io Calendar <main@mtma.groups.io> wrote:

Reminder: MTMA-NAR Member-Only Launch

When: Saturday, 24 August 2019, 10:00am to 4:00pm, (GMT-04:00) America/New York

Where:http://maps.google.com/?q=Harmon%20Flying%20Field%2c%20619%20Bartlett%20Rd%2c%20Aurora%2c%20OH%2044202

View Event

Organizer: MTMA

Description: This is a model rocket launch for MTMA/NAR members-only.  MTMA club membership and National Association of Rocketry membership is required to participate.

The launch will be conducted in accordance with the NAR Model Rocket Safety Code ( http://www.nar.org/safety-information/model-rocket-safety-code/ ). G-impulse max.  No high power.

In the event of poor flying conditions, the following Sunday will be the backup flying date. Stay tuned for last minute updates.

We fly until everyone has had enough, or 4:00 pm, whichever happens first.

Please park in the main parking lot.  Do not drive out into the field.

Jeff Kodysz

Saturday, Sept. 7th may actually work for me, although I'm on vacation the week prior. I'd have to check with the wife to see if she had anything planned for any of those days though. How about we check with the landowner and see what some good dates and times are for him. Evenings are okay with me as well, but I didn't want to speak for others. It's about an hour for me as well.

Jeff

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 11:00 AM Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:
I'd like to visit and meet with the owner, but Sundays are a no-go.  Earliest Saturday for me is Sept 7.  I'm open to meeting down there on a weekday after work in September.  It's just an hour south of wherever I'm at during the week.

Mike Nowak

September 7 could work for me as well.  Late morning or afternoon.

--
Mike Nowak

Wolfram v.Kiparski

We could check out that landfill while we're at it.  After checking out the sky diving club's website, the model airplane's club website, and airport website, and pictures of corn fields, my initial enthusiasm for this field is waning.  The field looks like it is heavily used by existing tenants.  It's still very much worth a look.
-W

Jeff Kodysz

I agree that since we will be in the area, it would make sense to check out nearby sites. Do you have any info regarding the ownership of the landfill?

Jeff

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 2:34 PM Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:
We could check out that landfill while we're at it.  After checking out the sky diving club's website, the model airplane's club website, and airport website, and pictures of corn fields, my initial enthusiasm for this field is waning.  The field looks like it is heavily used by existing tenants.  It's still very much worth a look.
-W

Wolfram v.Kiparski

Landfill was operated by BFI.  Need to confirm.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019, 2:41 PM Jeff Kodysz <jeffk813@...> wrote:
I agree that since we will be in the area, it would make sense to check out nearby sites. Do you have any info regarding the ownership of the landfill?

Jeff

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 2:34 PM Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:
We could check out that landfill while we're at it.  After checking out the sky diving club's website, the model airplane's club website, and airport website, and pictures of corn fields, my initial enthusiasm for this field is waning.  The field looks like it is heavily used by existing tenants.  It's still very much worth a look.
-W

Bob Ferrante

Rockets, Flames, Methane Vents ???

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019, 3:40 PM Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:
Landfill was operated by BFI.  Need to confirm.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019, 2:41 PM Jeff Kodysz <jeffk813@...> wrote:
I agree that since we will be in the area, it would make sense to check out nearby sites. Do you have any info regarding the ownership of the landfill?

Jeff

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 2:34 PM Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:
We could check out that landfill while we're at it.  After checking out the sky diving club's website, the model airplane's club website, and airport website, and pictures of corn fields, my initial enthusiasm for this field is waning.  The field looks like it is heavily used by existing tenants.  It's still very much worth a look.
-W

Chris Pearson

The only 1500 foot rule I am familiar with is the lower altitude limit for airplane aerobatics.  Is there another that limits MR flights in a controlled airspace like an airport?

Chris Pearson