Topics

locked Possible launch field in Alliance

JohnP

I often drive past a grass field airport used by local skydiving school and a few others.  When I do, I keep thinking that I should stop one day (when I'm not in hurry to be somewhere else) and ask if they'd be open to allowing rocket launches there.

Well, tonight I was at Boy Scouts and brought up the subject of rockets.  And everyone looks over at one of the newer scout leaders.  He introduces himself as the *owner* of the airport and mentioned that occasionally people come out and adk to launch a rocket or two.  He would be very interested in talking to club officers (and me) about the possibility if the club is similarly interested.  The field is over 100 (maybe 130) acres, mostly mowed.  Possibly suitable for HPR.

I have his business card and contact information.

Anyone interested?

Blessings,
John Partridge

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019, 10:00 AM main@MTMA.groups.io Calendar <main@mtma.groups.io> wrote:

Reminder: MTMA-NAR Member-Only Launch

When: Saturday, 24 August 2019, 10:00am to 4:00pm, (GMT-04:00) America/New York

Where:http://maps.google.com/?q=Harmon%20Flying%20Field%2c%20619%20Bartlett%20Rd%2c%20Aurora%2c%20OH%2044202

View Event

Organizer: MTMA

Description: This is a model rocket launch for MTMA/NAR members-only.  MTMA club membership and National Association of Rocketry membership is required to participate.

The launch will be conducted in accordance with the NAR Model Rocket Safety Code ( http://www.nar.org/safety-information/model-rocket-safety-code/ ). G-impulse max.  No high power.

In the event of poor flying conditions, the following Sunday will be the backup flying date. Stay tuned for last minute updates.

We fly until everyone has had enough, or 4:00 pm, whichever happens first.

Please park in the main parking lot.  Do not drive out into the field.

Jeff Kodysz

Hi John,

I would say we definitely have interest in speaking with the gentleman. We are always looking for a possible HPR field.

Any chance you could get an address so we could check it out in Google Earth?

Jeff

On Aug 19, 2019, at 8:39 PM, JohnP <partridgespam@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob Ferrante

John,
Are you thinking of Barber Airport?

Bob F.

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019, 8:47 PM JohnP <partridgespam@...> wrote:
[...]

Chris Pearson

What airport is it and what skydiving operation uses it as a drop zone?

Chris Pearson

[...]

Wolfram v.Kiparski

Yes I am very interested in speaking with this man.

Jim Seibyl

Always!!  I would love to see MTMA have another field and of course high power!!  I’m not an officer but if it’s bigger and closer than Amherst, makes sense.  Even if not high power, my TARC team can’t fly in Aurora, they need more recovery space than the current field.

Obviously just my opinion, and I defer to the officers, but thought I would toss out my 2 cents.

If it is decided by the officers to look into it, there would be research needed to assess the HP option, I would be happy to assist.

Gheem

“We need more boom.”

[...]

Yes. It is Barber Airport.

The address is 13820 Union Ave. NE, Alliance 44601.

You can also see some photos on Facebook at K&m Aviation Services.

On Aug 19, 2019 8:52 PM, Bob Ferrante <robert.1.ferrante@...> wrote:
[...]

Canton Airsports

On Aug 19, 2019 9:02 PM, Chris Pearson <notra@...> wrote:
[...]

It's a better model rocket field than Harmon.  It looks like the 1,500 foot rule might preclude high power.

Still interested...

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019, 9:33 PM partridge_farms via Groups.Io <partridge_farms=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yes. It is Barber Airport.

Bob Ferrante

There is a very active model airplane club in the NE corner of Barber Airport. The Alliance Balsa Bees.

Bob F.

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019, 9:43 PM Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:
It's a better model rocket field than Harmon.  It looks like the 1,500 foot rule might preclude high power.

Still interested...

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019, 9:33 PM partridge_farms via Groups.Io <partridge_farms=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yes. It is Barber Airport.

Wolfram v.Kiparski

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 09:53 PM, Bob Ferrante wrote:
Alliance Balsa Bees
On close inspection of the aerial, and the Balsa Bees website, the field has some nice corn fields too.

About three miles north is the closed Willow Creek Landfill.  Three-thousand foot square area of wasteland no one wants, with no houses around it.  This might make a good high power field.

John Ulizzi

I would be interested in knowing about both places !

John U.

On Aug 19, 2019, at 10:07 PM, Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 09:53 PM, Bob Ferrante wrote:
Alliance Balsa Bees
On close inspection of the aerial, and the Balsa Bees website, the field has some nice corn fields too.

About three miles north is the closed Willow Creek Landfill.  Three-thousand foot square area of wasteland no one wants, with no houses around it.  This might make a good high power field.

Mike Nowak

John Partridge- thanks for this lead!
Just about every rocket club in America wants a better flying field, especially one that could be used year round and not have to depend upon crops being planted. Having and maintaining a good relationship with the owner is essential. Let’s hope that this is the beginning of a new era for MTMA!

Mike Nowak

Tom Augustyn

Yes, very exciting as I live in Canton and this site would also be more accessible to me. I have only attended two launches in Aurora.

Just about every rocket club in America wants a better flying field, especially one that could be used year round and not have to depend upon crops being planted. Having and maintaining a good relationship with the owner is essential. Let’s hope that this is the beginning of a new era for MTMA!

Mike Nowak

John Ulizzi

Indeed Mike !

On Aug 20, 2019, at 8:01 AM, Mike Nowak <@Mikemnowak> wrote:

John Partridge- thanks for this lead!
Just about every rocket club in America wants a better flying field, especially one that could be used year round and not have to depend upon crops being planted. Having and maintaining a good relationship with the owner is essential. Let’s hope that this is the beginning of a new era for MTMA!

Mike Nowak

John Partridge

Okay, so it definitely seems as if there is sufficient interest to proceed.  I thought the next step would be for me and one (or more) of the club officers to drive over to the field, walk around and have a first-hand look, and then have a face-to-face meeting with the owner.  That's probably a good time to flash a copy of the safety rules and a letter of insurance as well.  After that, we just see where what everyone is mutually interested in doing.  I know I'd really like to have a local field that's more convenient for our Cub Scouts even if the club ultimately decides not to proceed for some reason.

Who should, or who would like to come over?  And when?

Tom Augustyn

I may and if I don't take plenty of pictures.

Okay, so it definitely seems as if there is sufficient interest to proceed.  I thought the next step would be for me and one (or more) of the club officers to drive over to the field, walk around and have a first-hand look, and then have a face-to-face meeting with the owner.  That's probably a good time to flash a copy of the safety rules and a letter of insurance as well.  After that, we just see where what everyone is mutually interested in doing.  I know I'd really like to have a local field that's more convenient for our Cub Scouts even if the club ultimately decides not to proceed for some reason.

Who should, or who would like to come over?  And when?

Jeff Kodysz

As President, I think it's my responsibility to be one of those who makes contact along with John. I would prefer that there be a few officers as well. Work schedules would suggest this be done on a weekend, and we've got a Cub Scout launch scheduled for Saturday. Anyone interested in trying to set up a meeting on Sunday?

This is great!  I’m not getting my hopes up yet, but I’m getting my hopes up ;)!

“We need more boom.”

On Aug 20, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Tom Augustyn via Groups.Io <taugy@...> wrote:

I may and if I don't take plenty of pictures.

Okay, so it definitely seems as if there is sufficient interest to proceed.  I thought the next step would be for me and one (or more) of the club officers to drive over to the field, walk around and have a first-hand look, and then have a face-to-face meeting with the owner.  That's probably a good time to flash a copy of the safety rules and a letter of insurance as well.  After that, we just see where what everyone is mutually interested in doing.  I know I'd really like to have a local field that's more convenient for our Cub Scouts even if the club ultimately decides not to proceed for some reason.

Who should, or who would like to come over?  And when?

Wolfram v.Kiparski

I'd like to visit and meet with the owner, but Sundays are a no-go.  Earliest Saturday for me is Sept 7.  I'm open to meeting down there on a weekday after work in September.  It's just an hour south of wherever I'm at during the week.