Topics

locked Poll results for MTMA

MTMA@...

The following MTMA poll is now closed. Here are the
final results:

POLL QUESTION: Should the MTMA construct an HPR rocket
as a club project? Should it be a high
performance, high altitude rocket
(maybe a Comanche 3 upscale); or should
it be a large diameter, "low &
slow", "smoke & noise" rocket? Can you
help at a central location (maybe Tod's
house in Mantua), or can you work on a
sub-assembly with a team of club
members in your area?

CHOICES AND RESULTS
- No., 0 votes, 0.00%
- Yes. High Perf. Sorry, I can't help., 0 votes, 0.00%
- Yes. High Perf. I can help at a central location., 0 votes, 0.00%
- Yes. High Perf. I can help a nearby team., 0 votes, 0.00%
- Yes. High Perf. I can help at any location., 1 votes, 14.29%
- Yes. Low & Slow. Sorry, I can't help., 0 votes, 0.00%
- Yes. Low & Slow. I can help at a central location., 1 votes, 14.29%
- Yes. Low & Slow. I can help a nearby team., 2 votes, 28.57%
- Yes. Low & Slow. I can help at any location., 2 votes, 28.57%
- Yes. No preference. Sorry, I can't help., 0 votes, 0.00%
- Yes. No preference. I can help at a central location., 0 votes, 0.00%
- Yes. No preference. I can help a nearby team., 0 votes, 0.00%
- Yes. No preference. I can help at any location., 1 votes, 14.29%

INDIVIDUAL VOTES
- No.
- wolf@...
- Yes. Low & Slow. Sorry, I can't help.
- Yes. Low & Slow. I can help at a central location.
- briddle@...
- Yes. Low & Slow. I can help a nearby team.
- m_reckt@...
- castraka@...
- Yes. Low & Slow. I can help at any location.
- blankreg@...
- mleffler@...
- Yes. No preference. Sorry, I can't help.
- Yes. No preference. I can help at a central location.
- Yes. No preference. I can help a nearby team.
- Yes. No preference. I can help at any location.
- scam99@...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MTMA

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/

castraka@...

Frankly, I think we should form a committee to find an alternate field! Wind
we can't change but mud is something we should not have to worry about! One
strong rain storm the day before a planned launch (even in mid-summer) will
kill our launch plans.

Any thoughts? Anybody have any ideas? Potential sites?

Chuck "dying 'cause I haven't fired anything since November" Straka

Mark Recktenwald <m_reckt@...>

MTMA@... wrote:

The following MTMA poll is now closed.
<snip>
I realize some of you voted through e-mail. I seem to remember there
were three folks who did that and all three wanted an HPR glider.

That would make the final tally:
No preference - 1 vote
High Perf. - 1 vote
Glider - 3 votes
Low & Slow - 5 votes

Comments? Suggestions? Shall we form a design committee or just "toss
'em out and see what sticks"?

Stow, Ohio

kgholloway@...

Mark,

I'd suggest that forming a committee would be the way to go. One thing we
need to know, however, is what type of design software is most commonly
used by MTMA members? Since this is a club project all of our members
should be able to view the design as it's being developed and offer
suggestions to the committee. Just for the record I use Apogee's
"RockSim", NAR's "Winroc", and "Wrasp" myself.

Ken

Mark Recktenwald <m_reckt@...> on 04/10/2001 06:05:43 AM

Please respond to MTMA@...

To: MTMA@...
cc:
Subject: Re: [MTMA] Poll results for MTMA

MTMA@... wrote:

The following MTMA poll is now closed.
<snip>
I realize some of you voted through e-mail. I seem to remember there
were three folks who did that and all three wanted an HPR glider.

That would make the final tally:
No preference - 1 vote
High Perf. - 1 vote
Glider - 3 votes
Low & Slow - 5 votes

Comments? Suggestions? Shall we form a design committee or just "toss
'em out and see what sticks"?

Stow, Ohio

Tod Hilty

At 06:05 AM 4/10/01 -0400, you wrote:
MTMA@... wrote:

The following MTMA poll is now closed.
<snip>
I realize some of you voted through e-mail. I seem to remember there
were three folks who did that and all three wanted an HPR glider.
Oooo! That's a weird statistic!

<snip>

Comments? Suggestions? Shall we form a design committee or just "toss
'em out and see what sticks"?
I agree with Ken in that a committee would be a good idea. Don't put me on
it tho'.. I know next to nothing about building large rockets. You guys
make the decisions, and just point me in the right direction.

Tod

Tod Hilty

At 08:21 AM 4/10/01 EDT, you wrote:
Frankly, I think we should form a committee to find an alternate field! Wind
we can't change but mud is something we should not have to worry about! One
strong rain storm the day before a planned launch (even in mid-summer) will
kill our launch plans.
I agree with you Chuck in that we need several more fields to "put into
rotation". The big problem with Carlton's property is that it just doesn't
drain well.

Keep in mind tho', what happened Saturday morning wasn't just a "strong rain
storm". 4.8 inches in 50 some minutes was downright bizarre. I've been
doing a little research, and found that the storm was extremely localized
(only about 1/10" up in Cuyahoga County). Also, I'm fairly certain that it
far exceeded the "100 year storm event" for this area. Mark would probably
know the details on that one. According to our Village Manager, several
storm sewers down by the river literally exploded from the discharge.

Any thoughts? Anybody have any ideas? Potential sites?
Actually, I'm going to try and see a 76 acre site over off 306, just north
of Aurora. One of the Dads on my sons' baseball team mother in law owns the
property. Apparently it's an old sand/gravel pit. You can sorta see it using:

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?S=12&T=1&X=589&Y=5719&Z=17&W=2

It's the area that's a little to the east of where the W&LE railroad tracks
(diagonal from the NW to the SE) crosses SR 306. Dunno the details yet, and
I kind of suspect that's it within the Aurora city limits. I'm sure that'll
have its own set of concerns.

The USGS photo is from 1994, and according to the son-in-law, it's been
logged 4 times in the past 3 years, so things probably look different.
Anyway, I'll be checking it out this week.

Tod

m_reckt@...

--- In MTMA@y..., kgholloway@f... wrote:

Mark,

I'd suggest that forming a committee would be the way to go. One
thing we
need to know, however, is what type of design software is most
commonly
used by MTMA members? Since this is a club project all of our
members
should be able to view the design as it's being developed and offer
suggestions to the committee. Just for the record I use Apogee's
"RockSim", NAR's "Winroc", and "Wrasp" myself.

Ken
I use VCP and wRASP. I use AutoCAD for scale projects.

--
Mark