Topics

moderated NOTRA Launch - Sunday July 7, 2019

Jim Seibyl

If you have a need to burn some motors this weekend, NOTRA is having a launch in Amherst this Sunday........It is a Tripoli event, but NAR flyers welcome.  See entire email below....from Chris Pearson.

I know I said that we would not be having any launches this spring. I lied. The field owner, Mr. Born, has told me that they have mowed the hay field and we can fly on it this weekend. A number of students from the University of Akron's "Akronauts" rocket team will also be there to do NAR L1 certification flights.

Sorry for the late and short notice, but I just confirmed today that the field is okay to fly on.  This will be the latest we have every had a launch at the Amherst field.

The weather forecast is for less than a 10% chance of rain, mostly cloudy with the cloud ceiling from 6-12K feet, a high temp of 78F and winds from 8-10 mph out of the NE.

The launch will be held on Sunday, July 7th, from 11AM until 5PM.

Parking will probably be on the road, so park on the right side so cars can pass.

This will be a NOTRA Research launch and conducted under the Tripoli Rocketry Association Research Safety Code. All NOTRA, Skybusters and MTMA members are welcome to fly as both Commercial and Research motors can be flown up to the individual members certification level. You must be at least a TRA L2 to fly Research motors. TRA members may also fly uncertified commercial motors or motors that have had their certification expire. The waiver altitude is 4800 feet.

There is an L motor limit. We no longer provide hybrid motor support. If you want to fly hybrids, you need to bring all the ground support equipment you’ll need.

We will have two high-power pads set up with ¼”, 3/8” and 7/16”rods along with 1” & 1.5” rails. We will also have a model rocket pad and launching system set up with 1/8”, 3/16” and ¼” rods. The Skybusters 6-pad model rocket rack will not be set up.

Please consider arriving a bit early and staying after the launch to help with set-up and tear down. And please bring bags for any trash you might generate during the launch. Trash containers will be set up at the launch pads and range head.

There will NOT be a Porta-Potty at this launch. There will also be no food or motor vendors on site.

Any Tripoli member who wishes to do a certification flight or take the Level 2 certification test please contact me beforehand. NAR certification flights can also be done.

“We need more boom.”

On Jul 5, 2019, at 8:15 PM, Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:

This Saturday's Launch is canceled due to a weather forecast of thunderstorms.  I can't get the gear down to the field for a rain date Sunday launch, so this weekend's launch has been scrubbed.

See you July 20th!
-Wolf

william manthey

Thanks for the info. Is there a map available with directions to the field in Amherst?    Thanks, Bill Manthey

On Friday, July 5, 2019, 8:23:35 PM EDT, Jim Seibyl via Groups.Io <jseibyl@...> wrote:

[...]

Here is the address...

51236 Telegraph Rd
Amherst, OH  44001
United States

“We need more boom.”

On Jul 5, 2019, at 8:36 PM, william manthey via Groups.Io <sugar4rocket@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Hanna

This will get you there

  1. Take 480 West OR 90 West to the Ohio Turnpike (80) West.
  2. Take the Baumhart Road exit.
  3. Turn right (south) onto Baumhart Road.
  4. Go south to the first intersection (traffic light). This is Rt. 113.
  5. Turn right (West) onto Rt. 113.
  6. Go two(2) miles to 51236 Rt. 113. It is on the right hand side of the road. You will see the club launch sign and cars out in the field.
  7. We have a 5200' waiver for this field.

[...]

Thank you for the info.  Bill

On Friday, July 5, 2019, 9:11:33 PM EDT, Jim Seibyl via Groups.Io <jseibyl@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Mark for the directions.   Bill