Topics

locked MTMA Outreach Possibility

Chuck Straka <castraka@...>

I noticed in the Hudson Community Education and Recreation (HCER)
brochure a new listing for a summer Rocket Camp from July 16-20.

The listing reads as follows:

Rocket Camp is designed for students currently in grades 3 through
7. Campers will design, build and test their own model rockets.
Certified teachers with support from Tracy Jacobs, HMS Science
Educator will also include lessons, hands on activities and projects
on planes, blimps, history of flight, early fireworks, space
exploration, space stations, helicopters, and more. There will be
paper airplane trials, home-made rockets with eggs as cargo designed
to land without breaking, space station simulations, a remote control
plane with aerial photography, and more. ...and it goes on to list
registration information, etc...

Boy, I wish I was 9-13 years old again!

Anyhow, I'm going to try to get in touch with Tracy Jacobs and offer
our (my) help during at least one day of this camp. I'm sure they
could use the rack system and I'd like to push the NAR safety code
especially since fireworks are part of the curriculum. A couple F &
G demo launches, as well as, the flying football (if it will fly-), a
boost glider (part of my NARTREK trek) and maybe our own version of
aerial photography might be nice (a-hem, Mark?).

I know that the Math teacher that is involved with this camp is into
water propelled rockets made out of 2 liter pop bottles (he has an
end-of-year rocket unit doing this which involves much more than just
the rockets themselves). I hope this is NOT what they plan on
using. If so, all the more reason to demo "real" model rockets.

Depending on the outcome of my conversation with Ms. Jacobs, I might
need a hand from another MTMA member.

I'll keep you posted.

Chuck Straka

m_reckt@...

Rocket Camp is being presented by Partnership for America's Future,
Inc. It will be held July 16-20, 2001 at Eastwoods Elementary School
in Hudson, Ohio. Sponsors include American Fireworks Company.
Educators include Mrs. Patricia J. Schnellinger (my sister).

They have a web page for the camp at:
http://www.pafinc.com/Rocket%20Camp.htm

On that page there are pictures from last year's Rocket Camp at the
Tallmadge Middle School. Several MTMA members are pictured:

Kevin Leffler (Mike's son) in left side of upper left picture.
Adam Recktenwald (my oldest son) and Kevin Leffler kneeling in right
side of front row of lower left picture.
Me with CR4 in lower right picture.

At last year's Rocket Camp, I gave a short lunch time "Show-and-Tell"
talk on model rockets and large model rockets, and then flew CR4 (on
an F62-4) and several other A- to D-motor rockets out back on their
baseball diamond (yes, I notified the FAA, KSU Airport, and Akron
Fulton Airport).

I have been approached by my sister about doing a similar LMR demo at
this year's camp, but thought I would hold out for free registration
for my two boys if I did it. The registration fee last year was $100
and I got $10 off each because of my demo. This year's fee is $150!

If you would like, I could start talking to Ms. Gay Evans of
Partnership for America's Future. She is who I first contacted last
year.

Partnership for America's Future, Inc.
c/o Leila "Gay" Evans
80 W. Bowery Street / Suite 305
Akron, Ohio 44308
330-376-8300
Fax: 330-376-0566
mailto:pafinc@...
http://www.pafinc.com

BTW, the teacher who was involved with last year's Rocket Camp (dang,
I forgot her name), had met two of the "Rocket Boys" at the 1999
Induction Ceremony for the National Gallery for America's Young
Inventors. Hearing of the camp, they sent Ms. Riley (the rocket) up
for static display during camp. This is the very same rocket built by
Ky Michaelson and used in the filming of the flight scenes
in "October Sky". After filming, he gave it to one of them (forgot
who, but not Homer). I actually got to hold it, open it up, and got a
picture taken with it (too bad I didn't have any bigger motors!).
Each of the camp groups also got a group picture with Ms. Riley.
Interesting coincidence there: my boys were in different groups, each
group had their picture taken at different times; in each of the
pictures, my sons are seated at the aft end of Ms. Riley and have one
hand on the nozzle.

--
Mark

Mike & Karen <mleffler@...>

Hi Mark,

We're debating whether we want to spend $300.00 on two kids. However, I'd
be willing to help out at least part of a day including a couple of LMR high
power launches (F G H??) if we have the field. Or maybe an E in the old
glassed Fat Boy. We thought it was a great program but it seems like the
price is getting a little out of hand, unless their using LOC kits rather
than Gnomes. Might be a nice place for Barry Lynch to send some catalogs
along with our club membership info. I bet a really great paint job on a
Lil'Nuke would bring in the customers, eah Barry? <BG> I did hear a rumor
that Tod is considering canceling the camp.

Mike

[...]

castraka@...

In a message dated 04/12/01 5:35:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mleffler@... writes:

I did hear a rumor
that Tod is considering canceling the camp.

Only the outdoor functions is what I heard...

Mark, I remember the demo you and Tod did last year....and the Ms Riley
story, well, cool.  Is this in multiple communities or are they holding the
camp just in Hudson this year.  I believe the location said either East Woods
School or at the Middle School--doesn't matter, either school would use the
same field/campus area.  This is where Eric, Adam and I go when we want to
burn some BP.  Lost the BAR rocket in a tree there.  This is at Lavelli Field
(outside the stadium actually).

Mark, I guess, as advisor, you can take the lead (yes, I'm lazy).  I would
make a suggestion that ANY demo we do as a club that we keep the impulse at G
or less.  I would hate to have a repeat of some of the incidents from launch
last April while we have an non-rocketry audience.  What type of rockets do
they build?  Do they need any equipment?

Chuck

ZC412@...

Chuck,
If you guys need any help, please count the Sky Busters as IN! Gerry
Freed would be glad to coordinate with you. You can contact Gerry if you are
interested at Gerald_Freed@... or TCSBRC_NAR535@....
Les Kramer, Pres.
Tri-City Sky
Busters