Topics

locked sticky MTMA Meeting Minutes #meeting

Wolfram v.Kiparski

This thread is locked.  If you wish to discuss the Meeting Minutes, please create separate threads.

On February 2, 2019 there was an MTMA Business Meeting held in Richmond Heights.

Members present:

Daniel Angyal , Bill Berger, John Berkey, Jeff Kodysz,  Mark Recktenwald, Gary Stricker, John Ulizzi, Wolfram von Kiparski

Treasurer’s Report

MTMA Membership: Estimated to be around 12

Revenue:

$291.00 in dues and range fees collected

Expenses:

MTMA’s share of the port-a-potty expense - $175.00

Domain renewal & Web Hosting – $88.90

Election of Officers for 2019

Jeff Kodyz – President

John Ulizzi – Vice President

Mark Recktenwald – Treasurer

Wolfram v.Kiparski – Secretary/Sr. Adviso

Launch Site Status & Safety Report

Harmon Field is still active.   We have not located an alternative launch site.

We didn’t fly much in 2018 because we had to cancel most of our launches due to bad weather.

Jeff K. mentioned that over the past two years our main safety issue is that we need to do a better job of keeping people out of the launch area, which includes the range head.  People stand too close and crowd the range head. Children have been known to suddenly run into the launch area during a countdown. We even had an incident where a child suddenly jumped forward and without permission pressed the launch button as soon as the pads were armed.  Bill B. asked if we should be getting back to requiring flight cards for every launch. Both Jeff K. and Mark R. replied, yes. Wolf suggested setting up a table behind the range head as a prep area. Jeff K. emphasized the need to have dedicated LCO/RSO positions at the range head.  Wolf mentioned that staffing needs to stay at range head and not be off in the parking lot socializing and prepping their rockets. Jeff K. stated that we must always adhere to formal launch procedures utilizing model check-in with safety-check, flight card, and pad assignment. The LCO must always know what’s on pads.  No one other than a flier who has been assigned a pad should be in the launch area. To achieve this level of organization will require the dedicated support of all members.

Club Equipment Storage Shed

We had discussed and approved the expense for a storage shed and associated support equipment at the 2018 business meeting.  The shed would be located at the Harmon field.

Jeff stated that he will seek permission from the City of Aurora for setting up the shed.  If permission is obtained, all members present at the 2019 meeting approved of the expense for purchasing a pre-manufactured 10x10 wooden shed that would be trucked to the site and set up on level ground.  We will apply to the NAR for a grant to offset the expense of a shed. The shed might be located near the shelter and port-a-potty, near the gas well close to the entrance, or wherever the City prefers. All of our club ground support equipment would be stored in the shed.  The shed would be equipped with a solar trickle-charger for the batteries. We could also use a cart for hauling launch equipment from the shed to the launch site.

New Business

MTMA Membership and launch fees restructured

John U. made a motion to extend 2018 MTMA membership through all of 2019.  The rationale was that we hardly flew during 2018. Dan A. seconded the motion, and all present approved.
If you paid dues in 2018, your dues count for 2019.

Wolf inquired if National Association of Rocketry (NAR) membership should be required by MTMA.  Jeff K. agreed. The matter was discussed and all present approved of the motion. These are the elements of the membership restructuring:

  1. A NAR membership requirement will be phased in.  Effective 1/1/2020, anyone seeking MTMA membership shall be a NAR member.

  2. Effective immediately, any new MTMA member who can show proof of NAR membership shall have their first year of MTMA membership dues waived.

  3. MTMA membership dues are $20.

  4. MTMA members pay no launch fee.

  5. MTMA members who are also NAR members can participate in club-only launches.

  6. Non-members pay a $5 launch fee.

  7. Non-members can only participate in formal launches that are open to the public.

2019 Launch Schedule:

Changes from 2018:

  1. Return to 10:00 am start times, or as otherwise noted in the launch announcement on the MTMA Groups.io message group.

  2. We are seeking special launch dates to accommodate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing.  Launch dates for July 2019 will not be published until these dates have been finalized.

Launch times:  10:00 am to 4:00 pm, or until everyone present has had enough, whichever comes first.  MTMA does not guarantee maintaining launch operations to a certain hour.

The following dates have been approved:

March 9, March 23, April 13, April 27, May 11, May 25, June 8, June 22, August 10, August 24, September 14, September 28 (night launch), October 12, October 26, November 9, November 23

Apollo 11 Anniversary

We are planning a special commemorative launch in July.  The launch will feature a sport scale and spot landing competition with prizes.  The scale modeling event will be a Mercury/Gemini/Apollo theme – get building!

More MTMA Meetings

Jeff K. suggested that we meet for business and discussion more often than just once a year.

Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, May 21, 6:00 – 8:30 pm, at the Beachwood Meeting Room of the Beachwood Branch of the Cuyahoga County Public Library.

Non-profit Status

This year we will seek to incorporate MTMA as a LLC non-profit corporation rather than just a tax-exempt organization.  There is a one-time fee of $125 and it takes a few months to happen.

Outreach

Jeff K. mentioned wanting to place fliers at area hobby shops.

Cub Scouts will probably fly with us again – traditionally this happens in August.

Dan A. mentioned contacting area 4H clubs.

T-shirts?

We talked about making up some club t-shirts but made no firm plans.