Topics

locked Launch Report!

Tod Hilty

From: blankreg@... (Hilty Information Systems)
Newsgroups: rec.models.rockets
Subject: [MTMA] Launch Report! MTMA #13! LONG! (but it took me a long time
to put it together, so read it out of pity! :)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:54:56 GMT

Hmmm.. maybe "13" is our lucky number? <g>

Date: 11/12/00
Location: Pioneer Trail Flying Field, 41d 17m 45s N, 81d 16m 27s W
Temps: Mid 40's to 50
Winds: Calm to maybe 2-3 mph out of the East. Perfect!

Sky started out overcast, and pretty crummy looking, but broke up in
the afternoon, and we were treated to sunshine... something none of us
had seen in quite a while!

Attending, Messrs. Graceffo, Faud, Angelucci(s), Lovey, Waner, Bauer,
Leffler, Bouley, Williams, Laux, Lent, Fraley, Love, and Hilty. Gobs
of family too. I'll bet we had 30-40 in attendance at one point!

MIA (again!), Messrs. Straka, Recktenwald, Miller, Levison, and Mikush
(maybe their green cards expired? Alien abduction? ;).

Later in the afternoon, we were treated to the rare (as of late)
appearance of <gasp> one Barry Lynch, current owner of LOC! Larry
flew a couple, and, as usual, <g> didn't record his flights, so I'll
have to recount his from memory...

Highlight of the day: Paul Bauer's successful Level 1! Welcome to
HPR Paul!

We'll report by flyer...

The Graceffo clan started things off with a scratch build on a C5-3,
followed closely by an Estes Mongoose on a C6-0/B6-4. He launched a
scratch build simply called "5.0" (must be an upgrade huh? :), next on
a D12-5 which he followed with his Estes Fat Boy on a C6-5 for power.
Larry's "Delta" scratch _really_ hummed off the pad on a G38-7B, and
the old Big Bertha took off on a C6-5. The "Sky Hog", powered by an
E30-7 was up, and Larry's scratch ring fin design was off next for an
arrow straight flight on a C6-5. Larry, and Paul Bauer dragraced
their Estes V-2's next on D12-5's with a very spectacular near
"mid-air" collision as Larry's powered up and almost caught up to
Paul's. Larry's Estes Broadsword was up next on an F23-7. The day
was finished up with Larry, and his daughter's creation, the "Mom"
rocket flying on a D12-5.

Bob Faud, flew a couple of "heavy lifters" starting the day off with
his LOC Graduator lofting on an F54-8 for a heart stopping long delay,
and perfect recovery! His next flight was a PML Black Brant VB on a
wicked H128 short for a perfect flight. He finished the day with his
1/4 scale Patriot on an H123 short, which flat out ripped off the pad!
Thanks for the show Bob!

Mike Leffler, freshly christened L1 <g>, arrived with his son, and
daughter in tow. Mike's first flight of the day was his "extended"
LOC Stovi flying on a G38-4. Daughter Kristen flew a SWE1 Naboo
Fighter on a B6-4 for a nice and stable flight. Mike picked up a
built Estes Saturn V at a garage sale for $5, and decided to launch it
on an AT E15-4. Nice flight, but we were wondering when the chutes
were going to deploy! Kristen's Naboo was off again on a B6-4, and
Mike followed with a PML Small Endevour on a G75-7J. Zipperless...
this time... <bg> Mike hefted the big ol' Saturn V again, this time
with a bit more authority on an E30-7. The LOC Stovi again flew
nicely on another G38-4, and Kristen's Naboo went for a bit more
altitude on a C6-5. Mike's last flight of the day was the PML Small
Endevour again on a G75 short. The QT zippered again on this flight,
and it was located on a completely different portion of the BT.

Mike Angelucci joined us again, and this time his twin brother Joe,
and friend George Lovey came along to fly a few too! Joe and Mike
apparently have kept all the models from their "pre-BAR" days, and the
rest of the flyers enjoyed the chance to check out a few of these
"original" models. Joe's van was also filled to the ceiling with
scratch builds, and he, and Larry are definitely major contenders for
the MTMA "King of all Scratch Builders" title! <g> The "Flying
Angelucci Brothers" <g> started the day off with Joe's Estes Wizard on
an A8-3, followed quickly by an Estes Screamer on a 1/4A. Brother
Mike sent up an old Estes Antares, first on an A8-3, which was
followed by a second flight on a B6-4. George Lovey flew the Antares
again on an A8-3. Joe's original Estes Big Bertha flew nicely on a
C6-5, and Mike upped the power on ol' Antares, lofting it on a C6-5.
The Estes Screamer again left the pad on a 1/4A, and this was followed
with George's flight of an Estes "unknown" on an A8-3. George flew
the Antares twice again first on a B6-2, and then on a C6-5. Joe flew
the Big Bertha again, but this time with a cool little parasite glider
attached. Perfect boost on the C6-3, and seperation of the glider.
Bertha recovered nicely, but the glider came in fast, and hard..<g>
Joe put an aging Estes Yankee-5 up next on a B6-2, and then again on a
C6-3. An antique Estes Clipper left next on a C6-3, which he followed
by an unknown Quest model boosted on a C6-3 also. Mike flew his
original Estes Cherokee D three times on D12's for some hefty altitude
on each flight! Mike's coolest flight of the day was of his
"Pershing" (huh?), V-2. This rocket, when flown on D's tends to come
off the rod slowly, flies a bit downrange, and then coasts "like a
brick" after the boost. It looks more lilke a blimp rather than a
V-2! <g> This time Mike used an AT E15-4, and the rocket left the pad
at about the same speed, but climbed very strongly, and deployed
perfectly. Awsome flight! Mike finished the day with a volley of
Estes Scrambler flights. First on 3 A8-3's, next on 3 B6-4's, and
finally on 3 C6-3's!

Don William's single, but most spectacular flight of the day was his
PML Tomahawk with dual, altimeter deployment, and an I195J for power.
Loud, slow, smoky boost to apogee, and the forward ejection blew,
breaking the rocket in half. As the rocket began tumbling down, you
could hear the "Uh-Oh's" coming from the crowd.. <g> At around 250
feet, there was a loud bang, and there was the main! Rocket recovered
with no damage! Thanks for the treat Don!

Paul Bauer opened up with an Estes V-2 on a D12-5 for a perfect
flight. The same rocket flew again in a dragrace against Larry.
Paul's successful L1 attempt was a LOC Expeditor, flying on an
H128-6W. Perfect flight, and damage free recovery! Backing off a
bit, Paul flew the V-2 yet again on a D12-5. Wow! What a nice flying
model! The Expeditor flew twice again on "less than HPR" power, first
on a G80-7, and finally on a G75-6.

Dave Waner started the day with his LOC Onyx on a D12-3 for a low, and
slow flight. Dave's ignition challenged LOC IV finally got off the
pad (after 5 tries) on a G125. All manner of ignitors were tried,
everything from old copperhead to NCR, to Firestar, but the dang thing
just wouldn't go. I think it was one of Barry's that finally got the
thing lit! Beautiful flight! Dave, and Craig Lent dragraced a couple
of Silver Comets next, both flying on D12-3's.

Barry Lynch wowed us again with his patented "Unintentional, but
Successful" airstarting method! A LOC (imagine that! ;) "something or
other" left the pad on what was supposed to be a pair of G38's, but
only one lit. The rocket headed slightly to the south, and at about
500 or so feet, the second G38 kicked in, and the rocket, with great
speed, headed for LEO! Recovery did deploy, and the rocket was seen
drifting down a _long_ way to the woods towards the south, and Barry
"wrote 'er off". Craig Lent took off, and about 45 minutes later,
arrived with the rocket in hand! Barry graciously gave the rocket to
Craig, and threw in a couple of motors too! What a guy!

Mike Bouley's two flights of the day involved his Quest Egglofter.
First flight was perfect, but "eggless" on a C6-7, and the second
flight, "with egg" on the same motor expirenced a seperation. Can you
say "Scrambled Egg"? <vbg>

Lonnie Love, and his two boys put up a bunch of Estes RTF's on C's.
The Heatseeker flew twice, in a nice stable fashion, on C6's, and the
Fireflash flew twice equally as well on C6's. His Estes Skywinder had
a bit of trouble getting the rotors deployed tho', when it was
launched on a C6-3.

This launch marked a couple of "firsts" for the author! Even though I
brought my BP motor box, I didn't fly a single BP motor. Never
happened before... hmmm.. could this be a trend? Second, I finally
got to fly my first G motors. I'm one step closer in my self-imposed
"trek" to Level 1! My first flight of the day (and the first of the
launch, no one else had arrived yet) was my trusty Estes Phoenix
flying on an E18-4W. My son Jon counted down, and hit the button.
Perfect flight, and recovery. I finally built the F24-4W for the
24/40 RMS, that had been sitting in my box for quite a while, and the
Phoenix was prepped again! WOW! Way _kewl_ flight! Phoenix likes
this motor too! <vbg> I built the first G reload, a G33-5J, for the
29-40/120 case, and into my Cosmo BB II it went. Beautiful lift off,
and perfect ejection at apogee! Brant cracked a fin pretty badly on
landing, so it was benched for the remainder of the launch. Not being
able to leave the open bag of F24's alone, I built another, and
Phoenix tore off the pad yet again. 'Chute failed to open, but
Phoenix landed with out damage for its number 36 flight! Feeling
comfortable with G power, I built another for my AT Strongarm, a
G64-7W. WHOA! That got Strongarm moving, and oddly enough, it really
*was* a 7 second delay! The 'chute fouled a bit at deployment, but
inflated fully at about 300 feet which made the recovery walk nice,
and short. Strongarm later flew again, perfectly, on an F52-4T. As I
was packing up at then end of the day, I spy the remaining F24 in my
motor box. Ah, what the heck! I've only got one left anyway...
Phoenix again *rips* off the pad, for a perfect, last flight of the
day!

With over 66 flights, ranging from 1/4A to I, MTMA #13 was definitely
a "most excellent" launch!

Next launch is slated for the Friday after Thanksgiving! See the MTMA
website for details!

Tod Hilty
Mantua, Ohio

Tod A. Hilty NAR #72099
Hilty Information Systems

Member MTMA, NAR Section #606

Mantua Township Missile Agency
http://web.raex.com/~markndeb/rockets/mtma/

"I'm going to put the wheels of the bus back on... just in case"
- BlankReg, Max Headroom: 20 Minutes Into the Future

"I speak for myself _and_ my corporation! Deal with it!"
- blankreg

- remove nospam.ever, and replace with apk for reply

Bob Riddle <briddle@...>

Hey....you're breaking my heart! I had my calendar in my head messed up and
was thinking the next launch was going to be on the Sunday after
Thanksgiving and I was going to go to that one. I was even going to try my
level 1 again! And it was at the fair grounds again! Thinking it was going
to be on Sunday, I didn't go up last weekend! Imagine my psychotic
depression I went into when I discovered my time disorientation and then
read what a great time you folks had! And I have to work the Friday after
Thanksgiving!

I, through careful and sensitive domestic negotiations, can only make it up
from Mansfield once a month. SO I guess the next one after the one I can't
get to is in December. I haven't launched in the winter before. Should be
interesting.....

Congratulations on the level 1 Paul!

See you guys in December!

Bob Riddle