Topics

locked King Viper 3

saw7490@...

Hey Harry Weiss here, Im thinkin' about getting a King Viper 3 for
Christmas(9ft tall,5"dia.) she runs on 3 motors(I'll be proably using
3 g-64-7W,or 3 H-somethings for my lvl. 1 certif.) Can I use this
thing at a normal launch or is it too big.I was online looking at
launch rods and found the x-treme rail 1 6-ft section but it uses
different lugs check it out at Giantleaprocketry.com it is under new
stuff.

kgholloway@...

Regarding the King Viper 3, Level-I Certification, and Extreme Rail launch
systems.

(1) The King Viper 3 is an excellent vehicle but I seem to recall that
rockets using clustered engines can't be used in certification attempts.

(2) The King Viper 3 requires all three engines loaded to fly correctly.
If you use 3 Aerotech G64-(?)W engines you would exceed the total impulse
of 320 N-s allowed under LMR (Large Model Rocket) rules.

(3) Finally some good news. The "Extreme Rail" as advertised by Giant Leap
Rocketry is perfectly compatible with Blacksky rail guides. I flew my
Estes' "MaxiAlpha-3" off of an extreme rail twice last fall at the Erie
club's launch using standard acetyl rail guides from Blacksky. It was the
first time that I'd used a rail and it made an instant convert out of me.

OBTW I'm hoping to certify Level-I this year myself. After looking over
all of the available kits and researching the percentage of certifications
of as many of them as I could I've chosen the BSD "Horizon" for my attempt.
It comes with a 38mm motor mount and a 29mm adapter and is light enough to
be flown on a G64 or G80 motor. For certifications it's rugged enough to be
flown with a H128 for Level-I or a J350 for Level-II attempts making it a
double threat. Check it out at www.bsdrocketry.com.

Ken Holloway

Barry Lynch <belynch@...>

Harry
Man the King Viper 3 is Too big! Level 1 has to be a single motor attempt I
think - I would not fly this rocket on less than 3 H180's - I would suggest
you look at something else. I could make you an EZ-I 65 with a 38mm motor
mount that you could go with an H123 - nice flyer!

As for rail- check out mcmaster.com page 851 I think. I will be donating
one to MTMA this month. It works on BS rail guides or Giantleap rail
buttons. I got a 10 footer there for 32 bucks- food for thought.
Stay away from the King till you have a good grasp of lighting multiple
reloadable motors. I even have a difficult time doing that!

Good luck -- call if you wish to discuss....
Barry

Hey Harry Weiss here, Im thinkin' about getting a King Viper 3 for
Christmas(9ft tall,5"dia.) she runs on 3 motors(I'll be proably using
3 g-64-7W,or 3 H-somethings for my lvl. 1 certif.) Can I use this
thing at a normal launch or is it too big.I was online looking at
launch rods and found the x-treme rail 1 6-ft section but it uses
different lugs check it out at Giantleaprocketry.com it is under new
stuff.

The main page for the MTMA group on eGroups is located at:
http://www.egroups.com/group/MTMA
</a>

The message archive for the MTMA group is located at:
http://www.egroups.com/messages/MTMA
</a>

If you wish to have your name removed from the MTMA group, send an e-mail
to:

Phoenix7187@...

Barry's right about that, I don't think you realize how big this rocket
is. 3 H180's is the bare minimum you can get by on and even with the 6
second delays it's a scary flight. I have one if you want to see it.
Let me know and I will bring it to one of the launches. Also it is not
for the beginner, you do have to have a very good understanding of
clustering and should have prior experience with smaller rockets.
Flying it on any H combination would require ignition of all 3 motors
simultaneously to provide a stable flight. If only one motor lights it
may not leave the pad, if two motors light you now have a 12 pound
projectile you don't know which way it's going to go. Also I would not
recommend flying this rocket without an altimeter, too many variables
with 3 motor clusters( one lights late/early) you can have early/late/no
deployment which can cause serious damage to the rockets recovery
system. Rockets of this size and power range should only be flown with
electronics.