Topics

IMPORTANT CLUB ANNOUNCEMENT

Jeff Kodysz

Greetings,

Many of you are aware that the MTMA is constantly on the lookout for new fields which would enable us to launch high-power rockets. Well, to put it simply, we're still looking.

However, we have recently been presented with the opportunity to have a secondary launch field at our disposal. Due to the NAR safety regulations this field is just slightly too small to allow full-on high-power flights, but it IS much more able to handle model and mid-power flights than our existing field in Aurora (Harmon Field).

The field in question is Barber Airport, located near Alliance, Ohio. It's about 28 miles Southeast of our current field. Being a privately owned and working airport, it is MUCH more open and accessible and it is constantly well-mowed with no high weeds to trudge through on our way to recover our rockets. It's currently also the home of the Alliance Balsa Bees R/C Airplane Club.

The MTMA has secured permission from the owners to conduct club launches there. We will begin with our next launch, on Saturday, October 26th. This launch was originally scheduled to be a bring-your-own gear launch, but we will be conducting it as a regular club launch instead. The other club officers and I went out in-between our club launches and had an informal launch there to get a better idea of how well the field would suit the club's needs and we believe it will benefit us.

We want to let you know that WE ARE NOT ABANDONING HARMON FIELD. We simply will be making use of Barber Airport as an alternate. We will be working dates into next year's schedule so that we have a number of our club launches there.

One caveat of the new field is that the owners assess a $5 per member per launch day fee to cover the upkeep of the field and keep the grass cut. This fee will be applicable to any person who comes out to fly. We believe that this is a reasonable fee and that for the ease of recovery the well-cut grass provides, that it should not be prohibitive to any member.

So, we would like to invite you out to the launch on October 26th at Barber Airport, 13754 Union Ave NE, Alliance, OH 44601. See the attached image for info on parking etc.

Please email me directly with any questions you may have and I will do my best to answer them for you.

Thanks,

President
Mantua Township Missile Agency
NAR Section #606

Bill Berger

Jeff,

That is great news! Congratulations to you and all of the officers on the fruits of your hard work. I can't wait to be able to fly the new field.

That being said, there are not many things that would keep me away from this launch, but at this point I will probably list myself as doubtful as I am overseeing a large fundraiser on Sunday and I will be setting up and taking care of any last minute issues before the event on Saturday.

Wishing the rest of the group many straight smoke trails!

-Bill Berger

On Oct 15, 2019 4:15 PM, Jeff Kodysz <jeffk813@...> wrote:
[...]

CG

w00t!

I will try to make it there with my mid power stuff!

-Cornelius

Tom Augustyn

Jeff,

Could you please send the attachment of the parking? I did not see it in an earlier email.

Thanks!

[...]

Casey Anderson

Woot woot!! Can’t wait to check it out.

On Oct 16, 2019, at 9:46 AM, Tom Augustyn via Groups.Io <taugy@...> wrote:

[...]

I believe I drove past it on Monday. Is Union Ave also the same as state route 225? If so, that site will be the cats meow and worth a $5 out of pocket each launch day.

[...]

Yes, Union Ave. is route 225. :)

Jeff

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 2:25 PM Tom Augustyn via Groups.Io <taugy=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Then in my opinion it is a definite step up from Harmon Field. Excellent choice!!

[...]

John Partridge

Yes.  That's the same.  You likely saw the sign on the opposite side of the field for Skydiving with Canton Air Sports.  We will likely have to pause our launch occasionally as their planes take off and land, but it isn't often, nor does it last long.

On Oct 16, 2019 2:25 PM, "Tom Augustyn via Groups.Io" <taugy@...> wrote:
[...]

james kral

good for me 45 min instead of 90 min

On Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 4:15:04 PM EDT, Jeff Kodysz <jeffk813@...> wrote:

[...]

I live in Lake Township (Hartville) and would take State Street straight over to 225 north in Allance. It's only about 10-15 minutes from there

Very nice!

[...]

will there be a engine power limit for the launch?

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 3:51:04 PM EDT, Tom Augustyn via Groups.Io <taugy@...> wrote:

[...]

Same as at Harmon. G80 Max.

On Oct 16, 2019, at 4:08 PM, james kral via Groups.Io <jameskraliii@...> wrote:

[...]

Edward Root

Jeff,

I'm a NAR member but not a MTMA member.  I was planning on attending yourself club launch this Saturday but wanted to make sure that i could as a  non club member.  I was also wondering what i had to do when i arrived since im sure there is a checkin process.

Thanks for your help - Ed Root

On Tuesday, October 15, 2019 Jeff Kodysz <main@MTMA.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Hi Ed,

You are welcome to launch with us on Saturday with the following caveats:

We will need verification of your NAR membership, so please bring your card.
You will NOT be covered under the club's NAR insurance, but will be covered by your own as a NAR member.
We charge a $5 per day launch fee for non-MTMA members to launch with us. The owners of the field we are launching from on Saturday likewise charge a $5 fee to launch which applies to MTMA members as well as Non-MTMA guests. Thus, you will need to pay a $10 fee to launch with us this Saturday.

We are in the process of adapting our current policies and club practices to some revised versions and new rules, including guest flying and membership requirements. Most of these new policies and procedures will be put in place beginning in 2020.

When you arrive, simply find myself or another club officer and we can get you all taken care of.

Thanks,

Jeff

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 3:28 PM Edward Root via Groups.Io <emroot123=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your reply. I'll  probably join MTMA next year but just be a guest for this launch. I haven't received my NRA card yet (joined 5 weeks ago but they say it takes 6 to get it) but I will bring my joining email and my account printout with my membership number.

Looking forward  to my first launch in about 45 years.

Thanks - Ed