moderated Re: Shaw High School TARC Team

John Partridge

Shaw is probably an hour and a half away from me without traffic, but if you need an extra set of eyes (or NAR member/mentor) for a launch at Barber field, let me know.

On Feb 22, 2020 3:19 PM, "Wolfram v.Kiparski" <astronwolf@...> wrote:
I am willing to help.  The teacher's name is so appropriate, how could I not help?

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020, 1:30 PM Mike Nowak <MikeMNowak@...> wrote:
I recently received the following email:

"My name is Jeremy Davis, Program Manager for the American Rocketry Challenge (TARC) here at the Aerospace Industries Association. This year, we debuted a Title I grant program providing $2,500 in funding to 40 economically underprivileged schools across the nation.

I wanted to reach out to see your willingness to mentor the rocketry team at Shaw High School in East Cleveland, OH, which is located near you. This is their first year competing in TARC and while they received funding from the grant, your knowledge and guidance would be a huge help to the school. Additionally, your mentorship can help us develop a love of rocketry and aerospace education across the United States. Please note that if you are unable to travel to the school, video mentoring through Skype or other services is always an option!"

Today I spoke to their teacher, Mark Rauchfleisch.  He asked about flying fields.  I informed him of MTMA flying at Harmon Flying Field on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month.  He is interested.  I also mentioned the Barber Airport field, and ironically, he knew about it as he is a pilot and used to land there.  He also informed me that on March 21, WSR is hosting the Ohio Cup in Dayton, which is a "TARC - like" event and they are planning to attend.

They are really short on time, with the April 6 qualification date not that far away, but the plan is to make this something sustainable, as only one of the team members is a senior.  I think that this is a really great endeavor, and would appreciate any assistance from fellow MTMA members.

Thanks in advance!