locked Re: MTMA Kit Bash Contest

Wolfram v.Kiparski

You make a good point.  I also don't use the rubber shock cord.

I didn't consider the internal components when I posted the kit bash rules because those parts are typically not visible when displaying a model rocket for show.

Rule Amendment #1

It's OK to replace the following internal components of the Sprint XL provided that the replacement components are not visible on the completed model during judging:
   Shock cord
   Shock cord mount
   Motor mount
   Recovery device

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019, 10:05 AM Bill Berger via Groups.Io <wjberger11=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Wolf,

Sorry to be "that guy", but can there be an exception to the rules in that Kevlar can be substituted, or augment, the estes "rubber band" shock cord? I will build it stock if necessary to meet the rules, but prefer not to. I don't think I need to explain why.

Thank you for your consideration.

-Bill

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 03:34:30 PM EDT, Jim Seibyl via Groups.Io <jseibyl=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks for the report, I think it was one of the most fun launches I have been to in a while.  Who sez it has to be high power!!  Thanks to the MTMA for all the cool stuff you did to make the Apollo 50th one to remember!

“We need more boom.”

On Jul 23, 2019, at 3:31 PM, Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:

Everyone who hung around until the afternoon at the last launch all received an Estes Astron Sprint XL kit.  We proposed a kit bash contest.  The rules for the contest are simple:

  1. You must build a model rocket that doesn't look like the Estes Astron Sprint XL using only the contents of the kit.
  2. You can't add materials or parts, like more balsa, another tube, or a substitute nose cone.  If the parts weren't in the original package for the kit, you can't use them.
  3. You must fly the model at September 14 launch.
If you didn't stay or didn't go to the launch but want to participate, get a Sprint XL kit and join in.  If you are an MTMA member who did not get a Sprint XL kit and want to participate, you may qualify for a FREE KIT.  Contact Jeff Kodysz (the Sprint XL Man) for details.
-W