This Saturday's Apollo 11 Moon Landing Commemorative Launch is a GO.
This is a public model rocketry event. We start flying at 10:00 am. We need one or two MTMA members to arrive by 0930-0945 to help set up. There's really not much work involved in setting up.THIS IS YOUR LAST MTMA Weather Summary
HOT WEATHER SURVIVAL
- Weather is predicted to be sunny and HOT, with a 9 mph breeze out of the southwest.
- Heat Index will be around 100.
- There is a slight chance for rain in the afternoon.
- This prediction was made as of 1900 hours 18-JUL-2019.
- I may not be posting anymore weather updates, so keep an eye on the sky.
THE GREAT OUTDOORS
- It is going to be VERY HOT.
- Wear loose light colored clothing, sunscreen, a hat, and bring water.
- Start drinking water at 5:00 pm Friday and get yourself hydrated before you go to bed.
- Start drinking water when you rise. This is no joke.
- Best bet is to just stay out of the sun, but we can fly too many rockets that way.
- Bring a chair and seek shade under the pavilion.
LAUNCH SAFETY and a few reminders
- Long pants and footwear that can tolerate the tall grass and brush northeast of the launch area are highly recommended.
- You could pick up a tick or two out there so be prepared.
- Despite how hot it's going to be, I recommend leaving the shorts and sandals at home.
- We will be flying from the usual spot northwest of the Flying Aces Runway.
- Please do not walk on the runway.
- Please do not drive out into the field or drive out to the launch area. Park in the gravel lot.
- We will not allow angling launch rods toward the parking area or toward the road.
- Launches will be conducted by an MTMA Launch Control Officer (LCO) and Range Safety Officer (RSO). All flights are subject to the NAR Model Rocket Safety Code.
- We can't support High Power Rocketry at the Harmon flying field.
- We're flying two events - Sport Scale and Open Spot Landing.
- There will be nice prizes for the top three places in each event. First place prize is a Saturn V kit.
- The Sport Scale event is open only two Mercury/Gemini/Apollo space program launch and test vehicles.
- Missiles and sounding rockets from the era are excluded from the Sport Scale event.
- If you are participating in the Spot Landing event, your first flight of the day must be a spot landing attempt. You get one try. No practice flights.
- The rules for the events can be found here: https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/USMRSC-V3.pdf
- Plus we will have a raffle, and be giving away door prizes.
I'm planning on staying there until at least 4:00 pm, unless I get called in to work for a bit. We might stay later if there is interest and the weather holds up.
See you Saturday,